Skip to main content

The Journey of the Bonsai

At times I place posts from other people, posts that show that Taekwondo is not just about kicking and punching, but Taekwondo is about changing people, about changing lives. 

Here is one such post, the life story of Debro van Wyngaard. She wrote this as part of her Black Belt assignment. She is practicing Taekwondo at TTA Pretoria.

Debro is married with two children (a boy of 11 years and a girl of 5 years).  For the past 17 years she has been working as a social worker, working with children in alternative care (specifically children in children’s homes).  She has been doing Taekwondo since 2009 and started to introduce Taekwondo to the children of Jakaranda Children’s home in June 2012. 

The Journey of the Bonsai

My journey as bonsai started in the wide expanse of rural South Africa, there where time seem to stand still and one's soul is set free. Never in my wildest dreams did I think, that I, a humble fig tree, will be on the threshold of such a big honour.

In 2009, I, together with a stinkwood, started on the road to becoming a bonsai. The other bonsais were so beautifully, delicately and precisely pruned in a Korean style. Time and again, they left the world speechless with their beauty, style and aura of mystery. I also want to be like them!

The pruning process was often difficult and painful, but I was willing to endure it. The grey haired gardener was wise, and dressed in a neat white suit, his compassionate hands pruned and bent each branch carefully and skilfully. Often times I had the opportunity to grow, but I chose to stay with the small stinkwood tree, to slow down my growth process, and I promised not to grow faster than him and leave him alone. Together we were in the Korean garden, together we were being formed into Bonsais. There were other trees in that garden as well, also being formed into Bonsais. Some grew and formed very fast. Sometimes my roots and branches wanted to burst out in growth, but when I saw the small stinkwood tree, I knew I cannot do it now, I have to hold back. 

The months of forming became years, slowly, methodically, to allow the small stinkwood tree to keep up. Then one day, there was a huge change ...

The stinkwood tree, two other shrubs (a hydrangea and an Elephants Ear Plant) and I were sold!

We were carefully packaged and bunched together tightly to prevent us from falling and hurting. The trip felt endless, and I was scared, felt like I had no foundation, and strangled. I was scared of the unknown! After an endless trip, we stopped. We are in a different place, a large nursery with lots of other trees, shrubs and flowers. The stinkwood tree was overwhelmed by the new environment and started to pull back and wither. One summers morning a man bought the stinkwood tree, the Hydrangea and the Elephants Ear. He planted them in his prize garden in an old area of town where they still provide much joy to the owners of the garden.

I, on the other hand, was still in the greenhouse. I stood between other trees that were not delicately pruned, trees that grew wild, some with thick branches and large leaves, others thin and slender with few leaves, some with long, sharp thorns. I was in the left-hand side of the greenhouse. A new environment that I could like, lots of sprinklers, enough light, extra feeding every week, people walking around, sales people, gardeners and buyers. A noisy place. How I missed the Korean garden! I missed the peace and tranquillity!
 
There was so much potential in the trees in the left corner of the greenhouse. I was not strong and wise enough to prune these trees like me, a delicately pruned tree becoming a Bonsai. I needed help. I had to think harder to find a way to help these trees and to help myself. I started listening to the people in the greenhouse, and to my amazement I heard a very interesting thing one morning in autumn. "There is a very proficient gardener looking for a new garden to plant - preferably a Korean style." I became so excited that all my leaves started rustling and I felt that slowly but surely I was becoming green on the inside of my stem.

I had to get the attention of the gardener! I waited for winter, my leaves started colouring and eventually I had no leaves left. My small stem was strong and robust, a lovely grey colour. "She has to see me. Here she comes!!!". The gardener looks around, notices me. A little while she looks at me, but then walks past. She turns around, to look again, she moves on, and then ... She came directly to me. My stem is quivering a little, I have no external beauty to show her. I am a Bonsai that lost its form a bit, I am not stylishly pruned anymore. I know I have the potential to become a good Bonsai, I can make her proud and fulfil my place in the Korean garden.

She stood in front of me, look at the trees around me and said in a quiet voice: "I see potential here, I will take this greenhouse with wild trees, shrubs and this little bonsai tree and create a Korean garden"

I was so excited! Days, months and years passed. Some of the best seasons in the existence of my tree. Looking back, I cannot believe that the time passed so quickly. I am an established, delicately pruned bonsai tree (6 years old) and I am standing proud in middle of the Korean garden in the left hand side of the greenhouse. The trees and shrubs around me is pruned with much care and one can see how the garden is taking form. I am so proud to be part of this special corner of the greenhouse and cannot wait to reach my full potential as Bonsai. New, young trees, unpruned and wild, look up at me, and see, that they can also withstand the pruning process with dedication and perseverance.

Ma’am Anecke

There is an interpretation of a part in the Bible that says: "Flower where you are planted..." and you gave me that opportunity to flower in Taekwondo. You saw my potential. You are my greatest inspiration in Taekwondo. I have 48 “broken-winged" children and 2 children of my own, and they watch me with a keen eye and my way of handling situations become their way of handling situations.

Taekwondo is not only my port, but the principles of Taekwondo is also ingrained into my lifestyle and outlook.

Thank you that you understand me, that you believe in me, that you know what is important to me, that you support me and motivate me when I am despondent. Thank you that you are giving me space to be myself in Taekwondo, and thank you that I could work on my own shortcomings the last couple of years.

I am honoured to support my children (the Defend with Integrity guys) in a sport with such character building potential, and in that way give them a chance to a better future. Our work at Jakaranda Children’s Home is developmental orientated and Taekwondo is an excellent tool to express my passion for sport and for the children in the children’s home.

I always place others above myself, Debro is always last in the queue when it comes to satisfaction of needs. But I decided that this black belt is for Debro. I do this for Debro. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, and I have to tackle the biggest challenge ever, for Debro.

I give you this Bonsai tree as a symbol of what I became in Taekwondo, but also as a thank you gift that says: "Thank you very much that you shared your knowledge, skills and passion with me". However, like this tree still needs water, food, care and need to be pruned from time to time, so do I need the same and I will stay your student.

What an incredible privilege to be your Taekwondo student!


Die reis van die bonsai boompie

In die platteland waar tyd eintlik effens stilstaan, en jy jou siel kan vind, het my reis as bonsai boompie begin.  Nooit in my wildste drome kon ek dink dat ek, ‘n eenvoudige vye boompie op die rand van die groot eer ooit sou staan nie.




Ek het saam met ‘n klein stinkhout boompie die pad na bonsai vorming in 2009 begin.  Die ander bonsai boompies was so mooi, delikaat en presies gesnoei in ‘n Koreaanse styl.  Hulle het aantreklik, stylvol en met soveel misterie die wereld telkens na hulle asems laat snak.  Ek wou ook so lyk!

Die snoeiproses was soms hard en swaar, maar as die wyse grys tuinier geklee in ‘n netjiese wit pak saggies en met deernis elke takkie sorgvuldig gesnoei het, het ek kans gesien vir die hierdie proses.  Ek het kans gekry om te groei, maar ek het verkies om by die klein stinkhoutboompie te bly, stadig te groei en het belowe dat ek hom nie sou verby vat en alleen los nie.  Saam was ons in ‘n Koreaans georienteerde tuin tussen nog boompies in die vormingsproses van bonsai word.  Party het baie vinnig gegroei.  Ek kon soms voel hoe my wortels en takkies wil uitbars en groei, maar as ek afkyk na die stinkhout boompie het ek geweet ek kan nie nou nie, ek moet terughou.

So het daar jare verby gegaan van vorming, stadig sodat die stinkhoutboompie by my kon bly totdat daar op ‘n dag ‘n groot verandering gekom het… 

Ek, die stinkhoutboompie en twee ander struike (krismisroos en olifantsoor) is verkoop!

Ons is verpak, baie styf teenmekaar gesit sodat ons nie omval en seerkry nie.  Die pad het soos ‘n ewigheid gevoel, ek het vasgevang gevoel, bodemloos en bang.  Bang vir die onbekende!  Dit het gevoel of ons vir ewig gery het.  Ewe skielik was ons in ‘n vreemde plek, ‘n groot kwekery tussen ander bome, struike en blomme.  Die stinkhoutboompie was oorweldig met die nuwe omgewing en het begin kwyn daar in die kweekhuis.  Een somersoggend het ‘n man die stinkhoutboompie, die krismisroos en olifantsoor gekoop waar hy hulle in ‘n spogtuin in ‘n outydse area van die dorp geplant het waar hulle tans ongelooflike vreugde aan die eienaars van die tuin verskaf.

Ek aan die ander hand, was tussen ander bome wat nie delikaat gesny is nie, wild gegroei het, party met dik stamme en groot blare, party baie dun met enkele blare, sommiges met lang, groot en skerp dorings.  Ek was in die linkerkantse hoek van die kweekhuis.  ‘n Nuwe omgewing waarvan ek sou kon hou, baie sproeiers, genoeg lig, ekstra voeding elke week, mense wat rondloop, verkoopsagente, kopers en tuiniers.  Sjoe, maar ek het die Koreaanse tuin gemis.  Ek het die rustigheid gemis. 

Ek het om my gekyk, daar was soveel potensiaal tussen hierdie bome in die linkerhoek van die kweekhuis.  Ek was net nie sterk of wys genoeg om hierdie bome te snoei om soos ek ‘n delikaat gesnoeide bonsai boompie in wording te lyk nie.  Ek het hulp nodig gehad.  Ek moes harder dink aan ‘n manier om hierdie bome te help en so ook myself te help.  Ek het geluister na die mense in die kweekhuis en tot my verbasing hoor ek ‘n baie interessante ding een herfsoggend.  “Daar’s ‘n uiters bekwame tuinier wat opsoek is na ‘n nuwe tuin om uit te lê – ‘n Koreaanse styl verkieslik.”  Ek raak so opgewonde dat al my blare begin ritsel het en ek kon voel hoe ek stadig maar seker groener word aan die binnekant van my stam. 

Ek moes die tuinier se aandag probeer trek.  Ek wag vir die winter.  Al my blare het reeds verkleur en ek het eintlik geen meer blare oor nie.  My stammetjie dik en stewig, met ‘n mooi grys kleur.  “Sy moet my raak sien.  Hier kom sy!!!”.  Die tuinier kyk rond, haar oog gaan oor my.  Sy kyk vir ‘n paar sekondes lank na my.  Maar sy stap verby.  Sy draai om, om weer na my te kyk.  Vir ‘n paar sekondes beweeg sy aan en dan.. Sy kom reguit na my toe.  Ek voel hoe my stammetjie bietjie bewe, ek het geen uiterlike skoonheid om haar te wys nie.  Ek is ‘n bonsai boom wat effens vorm verloor het en nie meer stylvol gesnoei is nie.  Ek weet ek het die potensiaal om ‘n goeie bonsai boom te wees, ek kan haar trots maak en my plek in ‘n Koreaanse tuin volstaan.

Sy kom staan voor my, kyk vir die bome rondom my en sê sag: “Hier is potensiaal, ek gaan hierdie stuk van die kweekhuis met ongesnoeide bome, struike en hierdie bonsai boompie omskep in ‘n Koreaanse tuin”. 

Ek was so opgewonde!!! Dae, maande en jare het verloop.  Van die beste seisoene in my boom bestaan.  As ek vandag terugkyk, kan ek nie glo dat die tyd so vinnig verbygegaan het nie.  Ek is ‘n gevestigde, delikaat gesnoeide bonsai boompie (6jaar oud) en ek staan trots in die middel van die Koreaans georienteerde tuin aan die linkerkant van die kweekhuis.  Die bome en struike om my is met baie sorg en omgee gesnoei en mens kan sien hoe die tuin vorm aanneem.  Ek voel so trots om deel te kan wees van hierdie spesiale hoekie in die kweekhuis en kan nie wag om my volle potensiaal as bonsai boompie te bereik nie.  Nuwe klein boompies wat nog ongesnoei en wild groei kyk op na my en sien dat deur toewyding en deursettingsvermoe kan hulle ook die snoei proses deurmaak.


Ma’am Anecke

Daar is ‘n interpretasie van ‘n gedeelte in die Bybel wat sê: “Blom waar jy geplant is” en jy het my daardie geleentheid gegee om te blom in Taekwondo.  Jy het my potensiaal raak gesien.  Jy is my grootste inspirasie in Taekwondo.  Ek het 48 “afvlerk” kinders en 2 bloedkinders wat my baie fyn dophou en my manier van situasies hanteer word hulle manier van situasies hanteer.

Taekwondo is nie net my sport nie, maar die beginsels van Taekwondo is ook my lewenswyse en lewensuitkyk.  

Dankie dat jy my verstaan, in my glo, weet wat vir my belangrik is, my ondersteun, my motiveer as ek moedeloos is.  Dankie dat jy my ruimte gee om myself te laat geld binne Taekwondo en ook aan my eie karakter tekortkominge kon werk die afgelope paar jaar.

Ek voel geweldig geeërd om my kinders (my Defend with Integrity outjies) te ondersteun in ‘n sport wat ongelooflike waarde het in karaktervorming en so elke een van hulle die kans te gee op ‘n beter toekoms.  Ons werk ontwikkelingsgerig by Jakaranda Kinderhuis en Taekwondo is ‘n uitstekende hulpmiddel om my passie vir ‘n sport maar ook kinders in die kinderhuise te leef.

Ek stel altyd ander bo myself, Debro is altyd laaste in die ry waar dit kom by die bevrediging van behoeftes.  Maar ek het besluit dat hierdie swart belt is vir Debro.  Ek doen hierdie vir Debro.  Ek het myself uit my gemaksone gedruk en ek het nodig om die grootste uitdaging ooit aan te pak vir Debro.

Ek gee vir jou ‘n bonsai boompie as simboliek van wat ek geword het in Taekwondo maar ook as ‘n dankbaarheidsgeskenkie om te sê: “Baie baie dankie dat jy al jou kennis, vaardighede en passie met my gedeel het”.  Die boompie benodig egter steeds water, voeding, omgee en moet van tyd tot tyd gesnoei word, en net so gaan ek dit steeds benodig en steeds jou student bly. 

Wat ‘n ongelooflike voorreg om jou Taekwondo student te mag wees!

Liefde

Debro is the lady on the left

Debro (Voetnota)

 Ek het saam met my seuntjie Schalk Taekwondo begin doen in 2009 – hy is die stinkhout boompie in my storie, die ander twee struike is my man en dogtertjie.  Die hele storie gaan oor ek wat geskuif het van die platteland – Belfast na die stad, van my ou instrukteur wat ‘n man was na ma’am Anecke toe..
Die ander kwekery waarheen ek geskuif het is die kids van die Kinderhuis…  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every day you are beaten

I came across this post from Bryan Ward this morning: Every day you are beaten :  Beaten by the leaky sink you keep avoiding. Beaten by the applesauce on the wall you keep not scrubbing off. Beaten by the dent in the drywall you keep putting off fixing. You long to conquer mountains, yet every day you are beaten by molehills. All these little problems… they should be so easily solved. Yet they go on defeating you, day after day, until at last you conclude that you are not a capable man: If you are this easily defeated, “surely” you do not have what it takes to win the bigger fights: to become your fittest self, to create a business empire, to create works of art that will outlast you. Hell, you can’t even fix a leaky sink: might as well f*** off and go watch TV. But you’ve misdiagnosed the problem entirely. … One summer day when I went into the workshop, I saw that the plastic gas cans by the tractor were bulging like balloons. I had left the vents closed, and the heat of

Life's values .... or Character

I practice Sonhahm Taekwondo. One of the goals of the ATA is to instill certain life skills in the students, and in so doing build their character. At the beginning of each class or event we recite a declaration or oath. To me, the declarations we make, is also about how we should conduct ourselves as people in everyday life. I have spent a long time in the Defense Force and as a young officer we were taught the skills of Courtesy, Loyalty and Respect. I just wish that we can teach these same skills to the public at large. I am seeing and experiencing the lack of courtesy, loyalty, respect, integrity and self-control that the people have around me. People of a non-profit group being outright rude, children being rude to their parents, senior (in rank but junior in age) people being rude to juniors (in rank but senior in age). What happened to common decency, courtesy, and respect? We do not have self-control, and we do not teach our children self-control and even th