Skip to main content

Flu .... and medicine and prayer!

Don't you just hate it when you are sick?


It is winter and I have been struggling on-and-off for a couple of months now with a lingering cold, but since Saturday I have not been feeling well, and definitely Monday I was sick.

My chest is tight and hurts when I cough, I am sneezing a bit, my head feels funny, my ears are popping and I am hurting all over. Typical symptoms for this time of year.

I first tried over-the-counter medicine but eventually relented yesterday afternoon and went to see a doctor. 5 minutes and a bundle of money later I walked out with a prescription for antibiotics, cortisone, painkillers and cough medicine. Is it going to work? Not sure, but it is going to alleviate the symptoms. 

According to my son (14 years old and an avid player of Plague Inc -
a game where you research and create virus to unleash  upon an unsuspecting world ) the virus creators aim is to infect as many people as possible before the cure takes an effect, and not taking the medicine properly will cause the virus to evolve into a drug resistant strain. 

My friend also said that if you don't take medicine then it is going to take 2 weeks and if you take medicine it will take 14 days to get over it, so take your pick. I think in this case I will take 14 days with some symptomatic relief. 

So, I am booked of work for 2 days, with strict instruction to take it easy. (not easily accomplished with 2 boys in the house). But I am taking my medicine and trying to take it easy.

Inevitably my thoughts turn to the Bible. What was I to do if I took the Bible literally? James 5:14 (New International Version) says:

"Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord"

So... does it mean that I have to call the elders of the church every time I stub my toe, or have a headache, or stomachache? What about more serious conditions like cancer, or aids, or blindness, or deafness or ...

And what if I do not know who the elders are? What if I do not even belong to a congregation? Can't anyone pray for me, and anoint me with oil?

And when the elders come, do they anoint me with olive oil, or grape-seed oil, or sunflower oil or just mineral oil? Does the oil have to be perfumed or can it be natural?

And if I call for the elders it means that there are going to be more than one, as the word 'elders' infers plural. That means that they are going to crowd around me and lay their hands on me. I do not like crowding and touching, it makes me nervous.

What if they pray for me and I do not get well, who is at fault, is my faith too small, or that of the elders, or what?

What if they insist on praying till I feel well? I do not think I can stand that, but I know some insistent people who have done that. It will drive me out of my mind, and in the end I will just tell a lie and say I feel better.

So, just where do I stand? 

If I see a doctor and take medicine, some Christians will say that I do not trust God to heal me. If I do not take medicine, some Christians will say that I am reckless and do not trust the medicine that God provided! So .....

When I get sick, I take some medicine, I also take medicine for my blood pressure, and I pray about my health. When it is particularly bothersome, I take medicine and pray about it. When I am really sick, I take medicine and call in the elders and pray about it. 

I believe God allowed medicine to be invented to be used. I mean, one of the disciples was a doctor, therefore I will visit a doctor when needed and take medicine when needed.

But I also believe that God has given some people the gift of healing and is using them mightily to His honor and glory. 

Then I also believe that we should pray and trust God for everything, every day, including our health.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every day you are beaten

I came across this post from Bryan Ward this morning: Every day you are beaten :  Beaten by the leaky sink you keep avoiding. Beaten by the applesauce on the wall you keep not scrubbing off. Beaten by the dent in the drywall you keep putting off fixing. You long to conquer mountains, yet every day you are beaten by molehills. All these little problems… they should be so easily solved. Yet they go on defeating you, day after day, until at last you conclude that you are not a capable man: If you are this easily defeated, “surely” you do not have what it takes to win the bigger fights: to become your fittest self, to create a business empire, to create works of art that will outlast you. Hell, you can’t even fix a leaky sink: might as well f*** off and go watch TV. But you’ve misdiagnosed the problem entirely. … One summer day when I went into the workshop, I saw that the plastic gas cans by the tractor were bulging like balloons. I had left the vents closed, and the heat of

Life's values .... or Character

I practice Sonhahm Taekwondo. One of the goals of the ATA is to instill certain life skills in the students, and in so doing build their character. At the beginning of each class or event we recite a declaration or oath. To me, the declarations we make, is also about how we should conduct ourselves as people in everyday life. I have spent a long time in the Defense Force and as a young officer we were taught the skills of Courtesy, Loyalty and Respect. I just wish that we can teach these same skills to the public at large. I am seeing and experiencing the lack of courtesy, loyalty, respect, integrity and self-control that the people have around me. People of a non-profit group being outright rude, children being rude to their parents, senior (in rank but junior in age) people being rude to juniors (in rank but senior in age). What happened to common decency, courtesy, and respect? We do not have self-control, and we do not teach our children self-control and even th

The Journey of the Bonsai

At times I place posts from other people, posts that show that Taekwondo is not just about kicking and punching, but Taekwondo is about changing people, about changing lives.  Here is one such post, the life story of Debro van Wyngaard. She wrote this as part of her Black Belt assignment. She is practicing Taekwondo at  TTA Pretoria . Debro is married with two children (a boy of 11 years and a girl of 5 years).  For the past 17 years she has been working as a social worker, working with children in alternative care (specifically children in children’s homes).  She has been doing Taekwondo since 2009 and started to introduce Taekwondo to the children of Jakaranda Children’s home in June 2012.  The Journey of the Bonsai My journey as bonsai started in the wide expanse of rural South Africa, there where time seem to stand still and one's soul is set free. Never in my wildest dreams did I think, that I, a humble fig tree, will be on the threshold of such a big ho